Friday, July 01, 2005

A Rocking “BAND(HEH)ish”

“Finally the mourning of the mortal beings of Bibwewadi were heard,
I gazed at CFL Philips bulbs being lit up by our very own MSEB”.

These days, I feel that electricity flowing through those coated copper wires through our houses is not merely a service provided by MSEB (which we actually pay for, at rather exorbitant rates) but an act of magnanimity on MSEB’s part. OH! Sorry mates, I was just belching out my anger. Actually what happened next was rather fulfilling. Finally, I could switch on my PC. I could listen to “ Bandheh”, a wonderful rendition of typical Indian Rock song. For those who don’t know it, it’s a song composed and performed by a prime Indian Rock Band, “Indian Ocean”. This song is my current “ always enqueued song in Win amp”.

It has all the ingredients of a great rock song. It has symbolic and meaningful lyrics that gel together with the central theme of “ Black Friday”.( I haven’t seen it. I dare to claim this from the storyline that I have heard and review I have listened to from Bidi.
I couldn’t identify any central riff associated with this and I suppose it doesn’t have any( Bidi or Chetan, let me know if it has one).

The song kicks off with an opening that resembles that of a typical Indian classical song. The song continues to follow a rather middle tone for first couple of minutes with a lead and bass chords that blend well with soulful voice of. At 3.41 on Win amp clock comes the part with a “ classical Indian alaap” that I always eagerly wait for. Its definitely a joie de vivire. The song reaches its crescendo with a cool solo and a rather punctuated drumming.

If u like this song certainly try out band’s second album, “Kandisa” and the next one, “ Jhini”.I was going to throw Kandisa in the trash-bin. These days, I have kind of rediscovered it and can’t listening to it when I am driving. I don’t mp3 version of the album. Let me know if anybody has one.

This song just confirms that we can certainly hope for wonderful work being performed on Indian Rock scene, which definitely needs a fillip. Else, we would see several “Agni”s, which remained obscured on a larger spectrum.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aditya Bidikar said...

Ah! You've stopped keeping a thesaururs with you while writing. That's good - simple and sweet is always best. The review was pretty good. You just sound slightly agitated. See if you can do something about that.

11:19:00 PM  
Blogger maldini said...

I can't trace the sentence or part u r trying to refer when u r saying I seem agitated. Plz let me know.

2:34:00 AM  
Blogger Aditya Bidikar said...

I can't do it either. The whole article has that effect. I can't pinpoint what exactly.

10:01:00 AM  
Blogger chetan said...

btw ,surprised to hear u didnt catch the riffs that come smoothly in the texture and also melt before u know.It's certainly not a power chords driven song.

also seems like nobody's doin much blogging recently.

11:42:00 AM  
Blogger chetan said...

what a surprise! bandeh is currently playing in my winamp list...

11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Varun said...

I loved Kandissa.. dint find greatat first.. but now simply love it!

12:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home